origami box tutorial

I love these little boxes ... they are so easy to make and useful for gifts, packaging jewellery in, wedding favours or just keeping your treasures in.
1. You Need
All you need is a square of paper ... it must be perfectly square ... the ones I have used for this measure 19.5cm x 19.5cm and make a finished box 7cm x 7cm x 3.5cm.
2. Starting
Start with pattern face down.
3. Making a Mark
Make 2 mountain folds ... fold the paper in half, top to bottom ... open it up again and turn the paper 90 degrees and fold in half again top to bottom.
4. Making An Envelope
Using the mountain fold lines as guides, fold the four corners of the paper into its center.
5. Folding In
Fold the right edge and the left edge into the center line.
6. Folding In Again
Fold the top edge down and the bottom edge up, as shown below.
So it looks like this ...
7. Undo
Undo the last few steps, till it looks like the one below.
8. Reverse Fold
Put your finger behind point A and and bring it forward to make a reverse fold. This triangle that is formed is pointed towards the centre of the large triangle.
Do this on side B as well and this forms one side of the box.
9. The 3rd Side
Tuck in the flap as shown to form the third side of the box.
The triangle should fit snugly in and be quite secure, but you can glue it down afterward if you want to too.
10. The 4th Side
Turn it around and repeat the reverse fold on the sides and fold in the flap.
11. A Box
You now have box ... well a tray ... you can either use it as a little dish ...
... or make a base or lid for it. I made the bases for these boxes so they would tuck inside underneath. The square size for the base I made 19cm x 19cm and it fits the lid perfectly.
They look great all done in different papers or equally done matching. Why not try wrapping paper or magazines for a fun look.
I hope you will have a go and would LOVE to see any you make :)

2 comments

  1. Teri said ...

    I used to make these when I was a child but instead of the reverse folds we cut. I like the reverse folds better. I imagine they are a bit stronger for it :-) I used to make them in different colours and each one a cm smaller than the last (full square size) the smallest of which was about the size of my little finger nail :-) I think I still have them somewhere. Thanks for sharing and giving me a little trip down memory lane xxx

    11th August 2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fliss said ...

    These are really nifty, I can't wait to make some with my grandsons.

    3rd April 2012

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments ... thank you xx